Any male or female, single (never married) Not pregnant, never been pregnant, not adoptive parent of any child, ages 16-19 years of age (as of January 1st, current year) who is also an active member of any youth organization participating in the Jefferson County Fair or an individual competing as an Independent is eligible to compete. No sexting, drug, or alcohol convictions or charges pending.
Other than minor or petty offenses, the candidate must never have been convicted of any criminal offense and have no criminal charges pending against them.
Queen & King applicants must have completed 3 consecutive years of membership in a youth organization that participates in Jefferson County Fair.
Contestants must fill out an application/autobiographical form. Interviews will be announced. Your application/autobiographical form will be due by July 10, 7:00 pm at Fair Board office. No Forms Can or Will Be Accepted After This Date! All entries must be complete including all required signatures or applicant cannot compete.
Please arrive by 5:30pm for group pictures.
See coordinator for special rules for 2023 Ohio Fairs Queen contest.
Interview scoring will be based on activities, leadership qualifications, achievements, poise, appearance, presentation and personality. Finalists will be selected by the judges after all interviews have been completed.
The court will be announced, of no more than four (4) girls and four (4) boys on the day of judging. The court will be given instructions as to the Coronation Ceremony.
The King and Queen will be crowned on Monday during the Opening Ceremonies.
Decisions are made based on completed application and the personal interview. No other support materials will be considered.
Royalty and Court Responsibilities include:
- Queen contestants are expected to wear evening gowns for the coronation and the parade and the King contestants are expected to wear dress slacks and sport coats for same. (No jeans or hats will be permitted.)
- Wearing sashes/rosettes at all times, except when showing your livestock project.
- Working the livestock shows
- Handing out awards at livestock show
- Working Jr. Fair shows (unless you are involved in a specific show.) The Court and King/Queen will work with the Jr. Fair Coordinator to divide responsibilities of all Jr. Fair Shows.
- Riding in the parade
- The parade will take place on Saturday at 10:00 am. Line up at 9:00 am. You will need to work with the Jr. Fair Coordinator to secure transportation and signage for the parade.
- The crowns will be provided for the King and Queen.
- The King and Queen may be asked to make several public appearances throughout upcoming year to represent the Jefferson County Fair
- The 2022 Queen may have the opportunity to represent the Jefferson County Fair at the 2023 Ohio Fair Queen Contest sponsored by the Ohio Fair Managers Association. The contest is held at the Ohio Fair Managers Convention.